Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I took the plunge...

And...enrolled back into college. If all goes well I'll be starting January 5th. I've been praying for some sort of direction in my life and this has been in my head for over a year. I'm going back for Early Childhood Education with a special needs specialization. Half will be online, half will be on campus. Plus I'll eventually doing an externship for 25-30 hours a week. Hoping I can get one close to home. I'm trying to get everything worked around the times Brock's in school so we don't have a major routine change. He's been having some tough times behaviorally so I'm trying to make this as painless as possible for him. I asked his behavior therapist why he sems to do as good as he does at school and erupts once he gets home, and he thinks Brock is focusing so hard on calming his anxieties at school that at home with me is his safe, comfort place that he just let's it all out. It's been difficult, I hate seeing him struggle. We've been doing nightly yoga to help release all the tension. Last night he just laid on me and cried for a half hour, and when I asked what was bothering him he said a bug. That's the most difficult part is the communication barriers. This whole journey is why Early Childhood Ed. With a specialization in special needs is so right for me because I'm going to be the best I can for Brock, while being able to help others in similar situations will be the most amazing accomplishment I can give not only Brock and myself but others.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, good for you! This sounds like a perfect, yet challenging, direction for you. I hope all the best for you as you balance everything. It's hard, but worth it.

    As far as Brock doing well in school and melting down at home. My two are not challenged with ASD and that still happened to them. I have no doubt Brock must work even harder to "hold it together" at school. At home, he can just be, and that might just mean collapsing on mom for awhile. You are doing an amazing job and I love reading your updates. Brock is blessed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's going to be extremely challenging, but so worth it!

      Delete