Monday, March 9, 2015

Spread the Word to End the Word

We pledged and support the elimination of the derogatory use of the R-word from everyday speech and promote the acceptance and inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities.
Make the same pledge at www.r-word.org
I've always been laid back on a lot of things..sure things bother me, but usually not enough where I'd go out of my way to try to put an end to it. That was before having a child. I've learned quite a few things about myself since then, like the lengths I'd go to protect my child from anyone or Anything that would try and hurt him in anyway. Even people close to him. I've been an advocate for those with special needs for about ten years now. I started working in a group home for women with developmental disabilities and knew right away I wanted to change how people perceived those with special needs. It's such a big unknown area to a lot of people, where they shy away from anything to do with them for whatever reason. I've seen a lot of people lost in the system when they have the skills and knowledge to live independently if they would just be given a chance. When Brock was diagnosed with Autism I knew I would do everything in my power to not let that happen to him. I will always be his biggest advocate and make sure he lives a life up to his full potential. Through working In group homes, and having a child with developmental disabilities I've heard the R-word in passing more then I'd ever thought would happen. The times that I've heard that word used I have no problems telling them exactly what I think. Even when they pass it off like it was a joke. 
There is no faster way to make my blood boil then by using the R-word. It's disgusting, hurtful, and deragotory. It's saying there is something wrong with having special needs. There is no good reason to use that word, even if you are "joking". There is nothing funny about it. I absolutely do not allow the use of the R-word or any sort of name calling in my household. We need to build each other up not bring each other down. Brock has been taught from a young age the power of positive thinking. Of course I've faced challenges from outside influences with Brock, but if you don't use those words in your home your children will know and understand how wrong they are. Please pledge today at www.r-word.org to stop the use of R word from everyday speech! 

No comments:

Post a Comment